Roasted Tomato Soup with Cheesy Parmesan Croutons
If you or your family can’t find enjoyable ways to eat more veggies, this soup is a great start. Easy to make, you can turn this into a great meal by serving with cheesy toast (whole grain bread with a low- fat cheese) and a wonderful salad!
2 pints cherry tomatoes or 6 vine-ripe medium tomatoes quartered
2 Tbsp. olive oil
Fresh ground black pepper
1 medium onion, roughly chopped
1 Tbsp finely chopped garlic
3 Tbsp. flour
1 qt organic fat free reduced sodium chicken or vegetable broth
1, 28 oz. can diced tomatoes, preferable Italian San Marzano style, not drained
1 tsp. sugar
1 cup nonfat or low-fat milk, or fat free half and half
3 pieces rustic whole grain bread
½ cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F*
- Line rimmed baking sheet with foil or parchment paper. Place cherry tomatoes on baking sheet in a single layer and toss with 1 Tbsp. olive oil, lightly season with sea salt and black pepper. Cook in oven for 30-35 minutes, until goldened brown and caramelized.
- Meanwhile, in large soup pot add remaining olive oil and onions and sauté for 4-5 minutes until soft and slightly golden. Add garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Add flour to onion mixture, stirring well. Add 3 cups of broth, canned tomatoes, sugar, and roasted tomatoes. Bring to a boil and then turn heat to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Cut bread into 6 pieces total, place on baking sheet, and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Place in oven to toast for 5-7 minutes until cheese is melted and lightly browned. Set aside.
- Puree soup with immersion blender or in regular blender in batches. Return to soup pot.
- Add 2 Tbsp. hot soup to cup of milk and whisk well, repeat again to make the milk more acidic to prevent soup from curdling.
- Add milk-tomato mixture to soup and stir well. (Add remaining 1 cup broth if soup is too thick)
- Add sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour soup into bowls, serve cheese toast (and salad!) on side.