Farro with Butternut Squash and Kale
The perfect side dish for any fall dinner party.
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and seeded, diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 2 bunches kale
- 2 cups farro, uncooked
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp. garlic
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 1/2 qt. reduced sodium organic chicken broth
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper
- Pre heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cut squash into ½-inch cubes. Combine squash in bowl with 1 Tbsp. olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Spread in single layer on baking sheet and roast in oven for 30 minutes until caramelized and tender.
- Bring large pot of water to a boil.
- Remove center stems of kale and discard. Tear or chop kale leaves.
- In large pot over medium high heat add 1 Tbsp. olive oil.
- Sauté diced onion for 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add farro and wine. Cook for 30 seconds.
- Add broth, bring to a boil then turn down to medium cook for 20 minutes or until farro is almost tender. Add kale leaves and cook for 5 more minutes.
- When farro is cooked, add squash. Season with salt and pepper to taste.