Full of rustic Italian flavors, this hearty bean dish uses turkey bacon for a reduced-calorie recipe.
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 pieces nitrate-free turkey bacon, cut crosswise into thin strips
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- 3 cups packed thinly sliced kale leaves, stems removed
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium, fat-free, organic chicken broth
- 1 (15 oz) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp. fresh thyme, chopped
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- In a heavy lidded sauté pan, heat 1 tbsp. of olive oil and cook the turkey bacon until brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Add the kale and raise the heat to high. Continue sautéing for about 1 minute or until the kale starts to wilt.
- Add the broth, beans and 1/2 tbsp. of thyme. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium and cover. Cook for 5 minutes and remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper and serve warm.