These chicken tinga tacos are one of our most popular Wellness Kitchen recipes! Serve them with a dollop of fresh guacamole or light sour cream for a delicious and easy family meal.
- 3 boneless, skinless, organic chicken breasts
- 1 white onion, finely chopped, divided
- 2 tsp garlic
- 3 tomatoes
- 1/2 can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, or to taste
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 12 mini corn tortillas
- Organic olive oil cooking spray
- 2 cups lettuce, finely shredded
- 3/4 cups guacamole
- 4 oz crumbled Cotija cheese
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F
- In a large pot over medium heat, add chicken breast, half of the onion, garlic and enough water to cover the chicken. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer. Poach for 15 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink. Remove chicken from heat. When cool enough to handle, shred the meat and set aside.
- To the poaching liquid, add tomatoes and bring to a boil. Cook until the tomato skins split open, approximately 6-8 minutes. Remove tomatoes with a slotted spoon and place in a blender. Add chipotle peppers with sauce to the blender and puree until smooth.
- Meanwhile, in a large sauté pan over medium heat, add olive oil and sauté the remaining onion until translucent.
- Add tomato mixture to the sautéed onions. Add the shredded chicken and heat through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place tortillas on a baking sheet and lighting coat them with cooking spray. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until crisp.
- To serve: Spoon chicken onto each tortilla and top with lettuce, 1 tbsp. guacamole and sprinkle with Cotija cheese.