An anti-inflammatory rich soup packed with antioxidants widely believed to improve brain health.
Ingredients for Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 tsp garlic, chopped
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/8 tsp ground cayenne
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 1/2 lbs carrots, peeled and chopped to 1 inch pieces
- 1 qt organic, reduced fat, low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- black pepper to taste
- chopped parsley for garnish
Ingredients for Cashew Cream
- 1/2 cup raw unsalted cashews, soaked in warm water for 30 minutes
- 1/3 cup water, additional to thin as need
- 1 tsp garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- Drain the soaked cashews and run under cold water. Place into a high speed blender with water, garlic, lemon juice, and salt. Blend on the highest setting until completely smooth. Adjust seasonings as necessary. Pour 1/2-3/4 of the cashew cream into a jar, leaving the remainder in the blender.
- Heat a large soup pot over medium high heat. Add olive oil and onions. Cook, stirring often until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, cayenne, and salt, stirring frequently until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add chopped carrots and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the carrots are soft, about 20 minutes.
- Carefully add the soup to the blender with remaining cashew cream and blend until smooth. Adjust seasonings as necessary.
- Return the soup to the stove on low heat for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Divide the soup between bowls and drizzle a tablespoon of cashew cream on each.