While it is healthier to consume smaller portions of red meat this steak has plenty of flavor making that so much easier. Team smaller amounts of this delicious steak and salsa with healthy black beans and green salad for a complete, filling meal.
For the Marinade:
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 Tbsp. orange juice
- 3 Tbsp. tequila
- 1 Tbsp. canola or olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
- Pinch of dried red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 1 lb. grass-fed skirt steak or flank steak
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ ripe avocado, diced
- 2 Tbsp red onion, minced
- 1 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded, minced
- ½ lb. tomatillos (6-7 each), husked, rinsed
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Place ½ the zest and the juice of ½ of the lime in a 9×13 glass baking dish. Whisk together all of the marinade ingredients (except steak).
- Add the steak, coat well. Cover and refrigerate for 1-24 hours.
- In a separate bowl, combine the remaining lime zest and juice, with the avocado, onion, cilantro, and jalapeno. Set aside.
- Spray the grill with nonstick cooking spray and preheat to medium-high.
- Brush tomatillos and yellow pepper with olive oil.
- Grill tomatillos for 5-6 minutes until lightly charred. Remove from grill. Cool slightly and dice the into ¼-inch pieces and add to avocado mixture.
- Grill the yellow pepper until black and charred all over, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from grill and place in small bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap. Set aside for 5 minutes. Remove charred skin from the pepper and cut into ¼-inch dice. Add to avocado mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove steak from marinade. Grill 5-7 minutes on each side or until medium-rare 130°-135°, or desired doneness. Let rest 10 minutes before slicing crosswise against the grain.
- To serve, place steak slices on platter and serve with salsa on the side.