The perfect lite dessert to any summer celebration! This dessert is easy to make and you can use any summer fruits such as peaches, apricots, berries, or plums. The fruit cooks into the cake making it moist and there is no need for high sugar and fat icing either! Try making it in the winter with frozen berries or dark sweet cherries.
- Organic canola oil cooking spray
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ cup plus 1 Tbsp. sugar, divided
- ¼ cup no trans fat margarine
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ½ cup low fat buttermilk
- 2 pints strawberries, halved or other fruit such as sliced peaches, apricots
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- Fat free whipped topping or lite ice cream
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Spray 9 x 9” cake pan with non-stick spray.
- In large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In medium bowl, beat ½ cup sugar with margarine until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla, beat until light and fluffy.
- Add wet mixture to dry ingredients. Add buttermilk slowly, combine until
incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Pour batter in prepared cake pan and arrange fruit on top of batter.
- Sprinkle fruit with 1 Tbsp. sugar and bake for 20 minutes until cake is golden.
- Cool for 10 minutes and invert cake onto plate.
- Cut into 8 squares and serve warm with fat free whipped topping or lite ice cream.
Note: Can use other summer fruit such as 2-3 peeled and sliced peaches or nectarines.