A perfect bread for summer dips filled with your choice of cheese and fresh herbs. Finish it off on the grill for a healthier alternative and wow guests at your next BBQ.
- 1 ½ cups plus 2 Tbsp. unbleached flour for dusting
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 egg white
- ¼ cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. olive or canola oil
- ¾ cup lukewarm water
- Organic olive oil spray
- ½ cup cilantro
- ¼ cup mint
- 2 Tbsp. blanched almonds
- 1 ½ tsp. garlic, finely chopped
- 1 ½ tsp. ginger, finely chopped
- 1 ½ tsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. broth (chicken or vegetable)
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- In large bowl, combine flours, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg white and yogurt. Add oil; whisk well.
- Pour egg mixture into dry ingredients; combine with fork. Slowly add lukewarm water until soft, sticky dough is formed (you may not need all ¾ cup). Lightly dust work surface with flour and knead until dough is soft and pliable.
- Line baking sheet with parchment, sprinkle lightly with flour. Divide dough into 5 pieces, form balls, and arrange on baking sheet. Mist dough lightly with olive oil spray, cover with plastic and let rest 1-2 hours before shaping.
- For the filling: Combine all filling ingredients except for cheese in food processor. Pulse until
finely chopped. Transfer to small bowl and add cheese, stirring with fork.
- For the bread: Roll rested dough out on lightly floured surface to 5-inch diameter. Spread 1 Tbsp. herb-cheese filling in middle of circle. Fold over and pinch tightly. Lightly roll each packet and place on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Preheat lightly oiled grill to medium heat. Place dough on grill, close lid and cook for 2-3 minutes until puffy. Turn over; cook for 3 minutes. Serve warm.