Turkey Meatballs Al Forno
1/2 cup finely diced day-old bread, crust removed
1/4 cup nonfat milk
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup finely chopped parsley
1 egg plus 2 egg whites
2 Tbsp. chopped garlic
1/4 tsp. ground red pepper flakes
2 lbs. ground turkey breast
Organic olive oil spray
1 qt. Basic Tomato Sauce
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
2 Tbsp. fresh chopped basil
Calories per Serving:315
Calorie Equivalent:4 oz. protein, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine bread in samll bowl with milk; let soak for 5 minutes.
- In large bowl, combine Parmesan, onion, parsley, eggs, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Mix to combine.
- Using hands squeeze bread to press out the milk. Add soaked bread and ground turkey to onion mixture. With fingertips, combine all ingredients wihtout over mixing.
- Using a 2 oz. scoop or by hand form mixture into 2-inch meatballs. place meatballs on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Spray meatballs lightly with organic olive oil spray. Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Place meatballs on platter, spoon over tomato sauce, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and chopped basil.