This light and crisp salad is perfect for a filling meal or as a side dish. The roasted carrots give the salad a richness and the quinoa adds some nuttiness and depth that really makes this dish stand out.
2 tsp. sweet paprika
1 tsp. ground turmeric
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. cayenne pepper
¼ tsp. ground cardamom
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
In small bowl, combine all spice mix ingredients. Set aside.
4 carrots, thinly sliced lengthwise
1 red onion, thinly sliced
2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
Spice mix (see below)
½ cup walnuts, toasted, coarsely chopped
1 cup red quinoa
2 cups reduced sodium organic chicken broth
2 Tbsp. lemon juice, divided
Freshly ground black pepper
5 oz. mixed greens
½ tsp. lemon zest
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
½ cup dried cranberries
2 Tbsp. chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Spray baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- In bowl, combine carrots, red onion, 1 Tbsp. olive oil, and 1 Tbsp. spice mix. Spread vegetables on baking sheet and roast for 20-25 minutes until golden.
- In medium saucepan, combine quinoa, 2 Tbsp. spice mix, and broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer for 15-17 minutes or until quinoa is tender.
- In large bowl whisk remaining 1 Tbsp. olive oil with 1 Tbsp. lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Add mixed greens and toss to coat.
- In separate large bowl, combine remaining 1 Tbsp. lemon juice, lemon zest, Dijon mustard, and 1 tsp. spice mix. Stir in the quinoa, roasted vegetables, walnuts, cranberries, and parsley.
- To serve, arrange mixed greens on large platter and serve quinoa salad over top.
Calories per serving: 205
Calorie equivalent: ½ oz. protein, 1 ½ vegetables, 1 carbohydrate