This soup taste like it was just out of your summer garden all year long! The fresh basil and the chili powder really up the flavor for this usually somewhat bland vegetable without adding extra calories.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 lbs. zucchini, sliced ¼ inch thick
- 1 qt. reduced sodium, fat-free, organic, chicken broth
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, loosely packed
- ½ cup fat-free half and half
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup nonfat, plain, Greek yogurt
- Fresh basil, chiffonade for garnish
- Heat olive oil in large Dutch oven or stock pot over medium heat. Add onion and
sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add zucchini and sauté 3 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and basil, bring to a boil then reduce to simmer for 20 minutes or until zucchini is tender.
- Puree soup in blender or food processor working in small batches; add back to Dutch oven.
- Add fat-free half and half and chili powder. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve; top each bowl with dollop of yogurt and basil.