Nothing says cooler weather than this soup, the butternut squash, onion, apples, and sage blend together in a rich, decadent tasting soup, no one believe there is no cream!
- 2 small butternut squash or 1 large
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 apples, chopped
- 1 qt. plus 1 can fat free, reduced sodium, organic vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. fresh pepper
- 1 Tbsp. fresh sage
- 4 oz. 1 % milk or unflavored almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place squash on foil lined cookie sheet and bake for 45 minutes. Cool, cut in half and remove seeds. Scoop out roasted squash with a spoon and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in large soup pot, sauté onion, apple and celery until soft and golden.
- Add broth, squash and brown sugar. Bring to a boil.
- Turn heat to low and simmer soup for about 10 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, and sage. Simmer for 5 more minutes and then remove from heat. Puree soup in blender in small batches; then return to soup pot to reheat. Add milk and adjust seasonings.