Brilliant in both color and nutritional value this elegant soup is highly concentrated in vitamins and antioxidants, all nutrients that prevent chronic disease. The beets add an earthiness to the sweetness of the carrots, giving this soup the perfect flavor balance.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 large shallots, sliced
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Pinch of dried red pepper flakes
- 3 lbs. carrots, peeled, sliced
- 1 lb. trimmed beets, peeled, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 tsp. ground coriander
- 2 qt. reduced sodium, fat-free, organic, chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds, toasted
- Heat olive oil in large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add sliced shallots, thyme leaves, bay leaves, and red pepper flakes. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add carrots, beets, coriander, and broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes or until carrots and beets are fork tender.
- Discard the bay leaves.
- Purée soup in batches in a blender or with immersion blender until smooth. Return to soup pot.
- Stir in the vinegar. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with a dollop of yogurt and the toasted pumpkin seeds.